A preseason look at how the prep basketball teams stack up against each other.
1. Phoenix North: Daniel Bejarano and Co. look to pick up where they left off in 5A-II.
2. Mesa: Mountain Pointe transfer Jahii Carson makes the Jackrabbits a contender.
3. Mesquite: Many key returners back for the Wildcats.
4. Mountain View: Asaad Woods highlights the always tough Toros.
5. St. Mary’s: Lost a lot of talent, but George Matthews leads retooled Knights.
Others to watch: Dobson, Basha, Buena, Hamilton, Chandler.
1. Ironwood Ridge: Lawrence Hampton returns to lead last year’s runners-up.
2. Central: Last year’s semifinalists return top 3 scorers.
3. Horizon: Collin Woods and Kyle Tresnak lead talented squad.
4. Marcos de Niza: With six football players on team, could take time to jell.
5. Chaparral: Zeke Chapman will get some help from new blood.
Others to watch: Perry, Pinnacle, Boulder Creek.
1. Sunnyslope: Kansas-bound Royce Woolridge wants to go out with another title.
2. Shadow Mountain: Martyre Demarco highlights solid list of returners.
3. McClintock: Derek Owens, Markus Cobb and Terrin Elam are solid perimeter players.
4. Pueblo: Top two scorers and other key contributors returning from playoff squad.
5. Cienega – Brandon Burnett will lead this group. Football reinforcements coming later.
Others to watch: Apollo, Cactus Shadows, Saguaro.
1. Santa Rita: Terrell Stoglin wants a state title to end career after three runner-ups.
2. Seton Catholic: Carter Warnock and Thomas Harty lead solid Sentinels.
3. Buckeye: Three of top four scorers return.
4. Amphitheater: Lester Medford leads last year’s semifinalists.
5. Greenway: Undefeated last year, but totally made over this year.
Others to watch: Liberty, Williams Field, Tempe.
1. Estrella Foothills: ASU-bound Corey Hawkins wants one more title before he goes.
2. Window Rock: Dwight Tabaha is key to team’s fortunes.
3. Winslow: Kraig Shirley is back for last year’s semifinalists.
4. Safford: A very balanced squad makes it hard to defend.
5. Fountain Hills: Could be hurting until football ends.
1. Westwind Prep: No Greg Smith, but plenty of talent returns otherwise.
2. Scottsdale Christian: Lose Bo Barnes, but not much else.
3. Precision: Defending champs in 2A.
4. Valley Christian: Lost a lot of talent, but Trojans always in the mix.
5. Northwest Christian: Anderson brothers are young but talented.
1. St. Gregory: Dominant team from last year looking for repeat.
2. Valley Union: Looking to build on impressive postseason last year.
3. Gilbert Christian: Dillon Currier one of best in conference.
4. Valley Lutheran: A solid program that is always in the mix.
5. Mogollon: J.T. Slade and J.T. Maner return.
(Editor's note: Rankings were changed to remove from Pima from 1A top five)