Displaying results 1 - 25 of 12 for dedrick young. Subscribe to this search
It was a lethal, and telling, combination that Desert Vista has come to know all too well this season.
Chandler has the look of a football team destined to make a deep run in the Division I postseason.
Peoria Centennial and Brophy are going in the opposite direction right now.
Centennial junior running back Dedrick Young gains yards as senior center Tyler Elam blocks Brophy junior lineman Jerod Johnson. Thursday, September 12, 2013 (Nick Cote/West Valley Preps)
Two East Valley quarterbacks dominated the headlines this summer.
The Bears fell into an 18-0 halftime hole against Centennial, and while they did rally in the second half, it was too much to overcome in a 32-17 loss. Coyotes running back Dedrick Young amassed 233 yards and four touchdowns on only 19 carries as Basha drops two places in the top-10 rankings to No. 8.
This is one of the toughest games to call this week. Centennial (1-1) was easily beaten by Chandler in its opener but rebounded nicely last week with a win over Basha. Brophy (1-1) started off strong with a victory over Desert Mountain but lost to Hamilton last week and is only averaging 11 points per contest. The Broncos have a strong defense and a standout quarterback in Brian Woodward, but are not as explosive offensively as in past years. Centennial has star running back Dedrick Young leading the way but the defense is prone to lapses. This one seems like a coin flip.
Prediction: Centennial 20, Brophy 17
-- Kyle Odegard
Score one for the throwback power running game in Friday night’s style clash between visiting Basha and Peoria Centennial.
5. Cienega — The Bobcats were upset by Marana Mountain View in last year’s playoffs but should rebound. The front seven on defense should be a strength, and team gets QB Adriell Alvarado and RB Christian Nash back on offense.
4. Ironwood Ridge — Defending champions must replace wide swath of impact players, but coaching is top of the line and the players have bought in. RB Jake Vartanian showed flashes of dominance last year and should have a big season.
3. Centennial — Jalen Ortiz, Marcus Farria and others move on, but the Coyotes always reload. Dedrick Young and Matt Rodriguez lead new wave of Centennial standouts as they look to make another deep postseason run.
2. Salpointe — Talented QB Andrew Cota has two big-time playmakers in Cam Denson and Kaelin Deboskie. The defense returns plenty of talent as well. The Lancers could be labeled 1A alongside Chaparral as the team to beat in Div. II.
1. Chaparral — Offense should be loaded with WR Tyler Whiley, WR Izzy Simpson, TE Trevor Wood and RBs Emerson Carrethers and Elijah Castro while the defense won’t be far behind. The Firebirds look balanced, talented and ready to aim for another title after last year’s quarterfinal exit.