Phoenix St. Mary’s graduate Channing Frye, now with the New York Knicks, has partnered with former University of Arizona teammate Andre Iguodala (Philadelphia 76ers) as their respective foundations are sponsoring the inaugural Andre Iguodala and Channing Frye Youth Basketball Leadership Academy, July 20–22, at Phoenix Desert Vista High School.
The Academy is open to all incoming eighth through 11th grade students who are dedicated to mastering the fundamentals of basketball, increasing their knowledge of the sport, and elevating their game on the court.
Frye and Iguodala will be present for the “three rigorous days of training . . .” which will also incorporate life lessons on sportsmanship, goal setting, and leadership.
This academy will not only offer video analysis and critique of each participant’s game, but also incorporate and emphasize a “family” aspect into the game of basketball. The first evening of the academy will be a “family night,” which will be open to parents and guardians of the participants.
Family members will gain a thorough understanding of the best way to raise and support a child who is dedicated to sports and who wants to succeed in their personal lives. Family members will hear testimonials from other parents and counselors who have had experience in successfully supporting and mentoring young athletes who have grown up to thrive both on and off the court.
According to the press release, the NBA players “have long recognized the need to mentor young athletes in both sports and life-skill sets. Too often they see a young, talented athlete struggle to reach their full potential, mainly because their focus is solely on their athletic future.”
Cost is $175 and due by July 10. Visit www.channingfrye.com or call (602) 368-4933.
• Brandon Buck’s Mountain Pointe Baseball Camp, with Mountain Pointe coaches and current players, will teach defensive and offensive drills 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. July 12-14 at Mountain Pointe High School, 4201 E. Knox Road, Phoenix. Fee: $50. (602) 690-8655 e-mail email@example.com.
• Valley Vista Shootout, a tournament for high school and club boys and girls basketball teams, will be July 11-14 at Valley Vista High, 15550 W. Parkview Place, Surprise. Call Jeff Fore (480) 650-6990 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• WNBA and Phoenix Mercury star Diana Taurasi’s Camp, a three-part basketball camp for girls ages 8-14 throughout the summer, is from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. July 12 at the Arizona Premier Basketball Academy, 1090 N. Fiesta, Suite 101, Gilbert; Aug. 15 at US Airways Center, Corner of E. Jackson & S. Third streets, Phoenix. Cost: $225. Call (480) 294-4948 , visit dianataurasi.com or call the camp office at (480) 294-4948.
• Inaugural Puma Football Kids Camp provides individualized instruction on fundamental skills for kids entering grades 1 through 8. It’s from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. July 16-19 at Perry High School, 1919 E. Queen Creek Road, Gilbert.
Fee: $40. Call (480) 516-1136 or e-mail email@example.com.
• Dobson High School Youth Football Camp has instruction provided by Dobson football staff and current players related to the fundamentals of the game for athletes in grades 1 through 8. It’s from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. July 17-19. Cost: $30. Call (480) 628-9512 or visit www.dobsonfootball.org.
• Hawk Football Camp for Kids, put on by the football staff at Highland High School, will offer a skills camp for all players in grades 5 through 8 from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. July 9-12 at Highland High School football practice fields, 4301 East Guadalupe Road, Gilbert. Fee: $65. Call (480) 813-0051.
• St. Mary’s football boosters fifth annual tournament will benefit the Knights football program. The 7 a.m. shotgun start is July 28 at the Adobe Course at Biltmore Golf Resort, 24th Street and Missouri. Fee: $90. Call Gus Gonzales (602) 741-3116.
• Higley United School District Community School Programs sports camps include football, volleyball, baseball and basketball for grades K through 8. Camp dates vary beginning Monday. Locations include Higley High School and Power Ranch. Call (480) 279-7415 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• South Mountain Community College tryout opportunity for young women who may have been overlooked and have not found a soccer home to start their college career or are looking to extend their career past high school and club. It’s from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. Thursday on the South Mountain soccer field on the north west side of campus. Call (480) 217-6995 or email Christopher.email@example.com.
Beginning next week, listings for Get in the Game will appear online in our events calendar. Just go to our home page and look for the Tribune calendar. Events can be searched by sport or by date. To submit a sports announcement, just go to the events calendar and click on “add an event”. The best bets from our online entries will still be published in the Tribune.