While Allen Iverson is in Athens, Greece, trying to help Team USA avoid basketball embarrassment at the Olympics, the meter is running back home.
It seems Iverson, a guard for the 76ers, owes the city of Philadelphia more than $1,700 in parking fines. The Associated Press reports about $1,200 of that comes from four tickets — each more than $300 — incurred when he left his Rolls Royce in a handicapped spot at an airport parking garage — for a week.
It’s not like Iverson doesn’t ever pay tickets. He’s already paid about $2,800, part of the tab from at least 65 tickets he’s piled up since March 2001. Kinda makes you wonder where A.I.’s car is right now, and how many pink slips are under the windshield wipers.
BASEBALL ON THE CHEAP
The Diamondbacks have had $1 tickets on sale since they started in 1998. But there will soon be a lot more, with kids as the target audience.
Looking to increase interest in the sport while helping youth causes all over the country, all 30 major league baseball teams are implementing a $1 ticket program from mid-August through early September.
All proceeds from the Commissioner’s Initiative for Kids program will benefit Boys & Girls Clubs of America, the official charity of Major League Baseball, and CureSearch National Childhood Cancer Foundation. The minimum charitable contribution is $1.
Diamondbacks tickets for three series (Aug. 16 - 18 vs. Pittsburgh, Aug. 20 - 22 vs. Cincinnati and Aug. 31 - Sept. 2 vs. Los Angeles) through this program will be available through the Boys & Girls Club of the East Valley at (480) 820-3688.
• After getting swept in Montreal on Thursday night, the Diamondbacks are now 35-81. All they need to do is win every one of their final 46 games to finish at .500. Take ‘em one at a time boys.
• Danny White will be doing color commentary on Fox Sports Net for Arizona State football games this fall.
I can hear him now, "Let’s see, we’ll keep him, redshirt him, transfer him, switch him over to offense . . ."
• Speaking of football, the Cardinals sure could use an NFL walkout for about 8-12 weeks.
• Michelle Wie gets a free pass into the U.S. Open, but the 14-year-old can’t get past the second round of the last two U.S. Women’s Amateurs.
But she is not, I repeat, not, being pushed too fast.
• Did you get a look at Jeff Garcia’s girlfriend, 2004 Playmate of the Year Carmella DeCesare? If I’m Donovan McNabb, I’m hoping Terrell Owens gets mad and starts hinting I’m gay — it apparently does wonders for your love life.