The 29th Annual New Times 10K, scheduled for Nov. 14 at Steele Indian School Park in Phoenix, can provide the ideal training ground for those novice competitive runners who are seeking to test their skills prior to upcoming Valley marathons.
According to Mike Scannell, elite athletic coordinator for the New Times 10K, the race is the optimal time for runners to experience all of the variables that can have an effect on a race day.
"The timing of the New Times 10K fits right into the typical training schedule for runners training for a marathon in January," said Scannell. "As runners build up their mileage, a 10K race easily fits into their training and allows them an opportunity to measure their fitness in a great race environment."
The New Times 10K and 5K will offer several events to include people of all ages and fitness levels. To register visit www.phoenixnewtimes.com.
Also going on in Scottsdale, the East Valley and elsewhere:
• Arizona State University baseball coach Pat Murphy’s All Nine Baseball Academy will be hosting camps this fall for players 13-18 years old. Fall Specialty Camp for position players will be Saturday and Sunday. Winter Specialty Camp is Dec. 4-5. Pitching/ catching clinics are scheduled for Nov. 21-22 and Dec. 18-19. Cost is $350. Call (480) 965-3920 or visit
• Ballpark Arizona in Scottsdale will conduct week-long camps to coincide with the fall break for the Scottsdale Unified School District (Monday through Oct. 15). Visit www.ballparkaz.com or call Pat Hartzel at (480) 425-7275.
• Kiwanis Recreation Center (6111 S. All-American Way) is offering a Fall Break camp for boys in first-12th grades, Monday through Oct. 15, instructed by former Corona del Sol coach Sammy Duane. Registration is $60. Visit www.tempe.gov/pkrec/krc or call Rick Oliphant at (480) 350-5753, (480) 350-5201 or (480) 350-5050 for TDD.
• A 3-on-3 tournament hosted by the Chandler High School girls team will be Oct. 18-23, at Chandler High. Registration and entry fees must be received by 6 p.m. today. The cost per team for ages 10-18 is $100; men and women divisions are $200. Pick up a team registration forms at the school or call (480) 812-6683 or email
• The Legacy Golf Resort in Phoenix is the site of the third Annual Texas Roadhouse Wild West Golf Classic To Benefit MDA. This year’s Classic is Monday with registration at 7 a.m., a shotgun start at 8 a.m., and lunch, auction and awards at 12:30 p.m. The Classic will be a four-person scramble with prizes awarded to the top teams. Cost for a foursome is $375, while individual golfers are $100. Contact Jason Wright at (480) 496-4530 or Dan Davis at (480) 539-0240.
• East Valley Soccer League is accepting teams for its fall season. Visit www.evslcup.com for information.
• Mesa’s Gene Autry Sports Complex is registering for adult and junior lessons that begin Oct. 18. Call (480) 644-2149 or visit
• Sergei Beloglazov - a six-time world champion, two-time Olympic champion and resident coach at the Olympic Training Center - will conduct a technique clinic from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Oct 30 at Marcos de Niza High School. Contact Jim Weed at (480) 730-7682 for details.