Letter: Electing same people means we get same results - East Valley Tribune: Opinion

Letter: Electing same people means we get same results

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2012 3:52 pm

Across America, Congress has a 12 percent approval rating. So, 12 percent of U S citizens are satisfied with the actions and behavior of Congress. One might conclude that the other 88 percent of us would be electing someone different.

The Congressional districts in Texas are so gerrymandered, each district is either heavily Democrat or heavily Republican. So, the person winning the Republican primary in a predominately Republican district will almost certainly be elected to Congress in November; likewise for those winning the Democrat primary in a Democrat district.

The Texas 2012 primary election results are in. For the 36 seats in the U S House of Representatives, 4 were new districts as a result of redistricting following the 2010 census. There were 20 districts in which the incumbent was challenged in his/her primary (16 Republicans, 4 Democrats); of these 20 only one was defeated. Hence, 5 percent of the challenged incumbents were defeated, or 95 percent of challenged incumbents will likely be re-elected in November!

Similar primary elections results are likely in the other 49 states. Look for two more years with no significant change.

Wake up America! We are being duped by the career politicians we elect over and over again.

Glen Terrell

Arlington, TX

More about

More about

  • Discuss


EastValleyTribune.com on Facebook


EastValleyTribune.com on Twitter


EastValleyTribune.com on Google+


Subscribe to EastValleyTribune.com via RSS

RSS Feeds

Your Az Jobs