Suspected shooters indicted on 46 counts - East Valley Tribune: News

Suspected shooters indicted on 46 counts

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Friday, August 11, 2006 6:37 am | Updated: 3:46 pm, Wed Jun 19, 2013.

PHOENIX - Two men accused of shooting 16 people in a string of late night attacks this summer were indicted Friday on 46 felony counts including murder and attempted murder.

Samuel John Dieteman, 30, and Dale S. Hausner, 33, each face two counts of first degree murder for the May 2 shooting of Claudia Gutierrez-Cruz and the July 30 shooting of Robin Blasnek.

They also are charged with 14 counts of attempted first degree murder, 14 counts of aggravated assault and 16 counts of drive-by shooting.

"For many months our community has been terrorized by random killings and assaults," County Attorney Andrew Thomas said in a statement that accompanied the 17-page indictment. "I am committed to an aggressive prosecution and will seek justice for the victims of these crimes."

Dieteman and Hausner are scheduled to be arraigned Aug. 21.

Police arrested the two men last week after keeping them under tight surveillance at the apartment they shared in Mesa, just east of Phoenix.

Authorities say the two are thought to have teamed up during the past 14 months to terrorize city residents late at night.

Sgt. Andy Hill, a Phoenix police spokesman, said investigators are still looking at whether to connect them to five more killings, three more non-fatal shootings and a number of animal attacks since May 2005.

"There is a lot of evidence to go through," Hill said Friday at a news conference. "There is a possibility that another suspect or suspects may be identified down the road."

Hill said Hausner and Dieteman currently are the only named suspects in the serial shootings investigation.

According to court documents, Dieteman and Hausner allegedly cruised around the city at night in a Toyota Camry, blasting at lone pedestrians and bicyclists and then driving slowly away.

Police hunted them for months, stymied by a lack of evidence left at the scene.

Defense lawyers could not be reached at their offices Friday to talk about the indictment.

Hausner's lawyer, Garrett Simpson already asked the Superior Court Judge James Keppel to move the murder case out of Maricopa County and place a gag order on authorities.

Simpson said he thought the media coverage of the police investigation has saturated the county in a carnival-like atmosphere that will prevent Hausner from getting a fair trial.

  • Discuss

Facebook

EastValleyTribune.com on Facebook

Twitter

EastValleyTribune.com on Twitter

Google+

EastValleyTribune.com on Google+

RSS

Subscribe to EastValleyTribune.com via RSS

RSS Feeds

Spacer4px
Your Az Jobs