Victims of shooting spree face alleged attackers - East Valley Tribune: News

Victims of shooting spree face alleged attackers

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Monday, September 25, 2006 5:49 pm | Updated: 3:45 pm, Wed Jun 19, 2013.

PHOENIX - Tony Long stared across the courtroom Monday, muttering as he tried to get the attention of two men accused of shooting him and 15 others in a series of random attacks this summer.

"I wanted them to look at me. I'm still here," Long, 47, said after the hearing.

The two men - Dale S. Hausner and Samuel John Dieteman - are accused of murder and attempted murder in a series of late night attacks since May. Hausner and Dieteman have pleaded not guilty.

Police have called them serial shooters and have searched the apartment the men shared, Hausner's car, and other locations to see if Hausner, 33, and Dieteman, 30, attacked 21 other people and animals in a shooting spree dating to last year.

In all, police said, the attacks grouped in the so-called "Serial Shooter" investigation left seven people dead and 17 more wounded.

During the brief pretrial hearing in Maricopa County Superior Court, Deputy County Attorney Vince Imbordino said he wanted to see handwriting samples from both men.

Imbordino wouldn't say why he needed the samples specifically.

"You can identify documents that they authored if you have samples," he said after the hearing.

In addition, Superior Court Judge Roland Steinle said he would rule this week on whether to unseal a grand jury transcript for defense lawyers.

Another pretrial hearing has been scheduled for Dec. 15.

The hearing was the first chance for Long and another shooting victim, Paul Patrick, to see their alleged attackers in person.

Patrick, 45, who was shot June 8 while on a walk, didn't want to talk after the hearing.

"I'm a victim," he said, tears welling in his eyes, as several large sheriff's deputies escorted Dieteman and Hausner out of the courtroom.

Long said he planned to be at every hearing in what could be a long trial for the two men. Outside the courthouse, Long said he's still angry about what happened.

"I'm still pulling buckshot out of me," Long said, hoisting his T-shirt to show reporters an array of scars splattered across his torso.

Long was shot June 20 at about 2 a.m. as he strolled along a street east of downtown Phoenix. Though he saw a white car a few moments after the shooting, Long told police he had no idea what his attackers looked like.

He told police that he didn't know anybody who'd want to shoot him. Now, with Dieteman and Hausner in custody, and police saying that they preyed on random people walking alone, the motive seems more clear, Long said.

"I wanted to slap them," Long said.

Dieteman and Hausner are two of three men police say are connected to serial crimes in Phoenix.

Mark Goudeau, 42, was arraigned Monday in court on two sexual attacks linked to the "Baseline Killer" investigation.

Goudeau, who has a history of violence, faces 19 felony counts stemming from a Sept. 20, 2005, attack on two sisters in Phoenix. He also was charged with drug use or possession dating to Sept. 6, the day Goudeau was arrested.

Goudeau pleaded not guilty to the charges.

The Baseline Killer, named for the street where many of the crimes were committed, is thought to have slain eight people in a series of 23 attacks since August 2005. Goudeau is charged in just one of the attacks.

Police say they have not excluded him as a potential suspect in the others.

  • Discuss

Facebook

EastValleyTribune.com on Facebook

Twitter

EastValleyTribune.com on Twitter

Google+

EastValleyTribune.com on Google+

RSS

Subscribe to EastValleyTribune.com via RSS

RSS Feeds

Spacer4px
Your Az Jobs