Phoenix police certain only one suspect in Baseline Killer case - East Valley Tribune: News

Phoenix police certain only one suspect in Baseline Killer case

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Friday, July 21, 2006 6:20 am | Updated: 3:46 pm, Wed Jun 19, 2013.

PHOENIX - Police said Thursday they're certain only one person is responsible for a shooting linked to the "Baseline Killer" despite an autopsy report that said "suspects" were seen standing over the victim.

Police spokesman Sgt. Andy Hill said investigators were initially uncertain whether anyone else was involved in the shooting of Tina Marie Washington on Dec. 12.

But now, Hill said, "there's certainty in our minds we have one suspect only involving the Tina Washington homicide. There was not a second suspect present."

The Maricopa County Medical Examiner's report said "the woman was apparently assaulted by one or more gunman and fatally wounded in a driveway behind a business establishment. A nearby business owner reportedly saw suspects standing over the victim with a drawn handgun."

Washington, 39, was slain behind a liquor store. Police have linked the Baseline Killer to her shooting as well as the killings of five other people in the Phoenix area.

Investigators continue to search for clues, but so far they have no suspects and no new information about what he may look like.

A second killer also is terrorizing Phoenix residents. Police say an assailant dubbed the "Serial Shooter" is responsible for killing five people and wounding 16 others during a spree that's lasted more than a year.

The Serial Shooter is thought to be driving a light colored, medium-sized sedan. Police won't say whether the gunman shot from a car or what kind of gun was used.

Mayor Phil Gordon has given the city's Silent Witness program $100,000 in reward money for information that may lead to the killers.

The hotline has received fewer calls from the public this week, with only about 300 to 500 per day. Tipsters loaded Silent Witness with 1,000 calls per day shortly after the mayor announced the reward on July 12.

  • Discuss

Facebook

EastValleyTribune.com on Facebook

Twitter

EastValleyTribune.com on Twitter

Google+

EastValleyTribune.com on Google+

RSS

Subscribe to EastValleyTribune.com via RSS

RSS Feeds

Spacer4px
Your Az Jobs