Teen pleads to exposure attempts to classmates - East Valley Tribune: News

Teen pleads to exposure attempts to classmates

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2007 6:21 am | Updated: 6:05 pm, Fri Oct 7, 2011.

One of two 14-year-old boys accused of inappropriately touching girls and exposing themselves to fellow students last year at Desert Arroyo Middle School in Scottsdale admitted to attempted indecent exposure.

The other boy, who appeared before a judge Tuesday, had his hearing rescheduled for September.

Under a plea agreement, one of the two admitted to two misdemeanor counts of attempted indecent exposure to a minor at a hearing June 19 in front of a Maricopa County Juvenile Court judge, records show.

A felony charge of sex abuse against the boy was dismissed. He is required to participate in a psychological evaluation to be reviewed by the judge at the time of his disposition, or sentencing, hearing next month, according to the court documents.

The Tribune is withholding the boys’ names because of their ages.

The other boy, who was described as popular by students who were interviewed by Scottsdale police, was charged with eight counts of sexual abuse; one count each of child molestation, attempted sexual conduct with a minor, disorderly conduct and assault; and two counts each of public sexual indecency and indecent exposure. Several of the charges are felonies.

The boy, who is black, appeared with his family and the Rev. Oscar Tillman, president of the Maricopa County chapter of the NAACP, before Judge James Keppel for an adjudication hearing on Tuesday. But Keppel rescheduled the hearing to allow the boy’s attorney more time to prepare.

Tillman said he was in court because he wants to make sure the boy receives a fair hearing. He is also providing the boy and his family with spiritual guidance, he said.

“I don’t think this case was fair from the outset,” Tillman said. “He’s still facing a felony charge and that’s not justice.”

The boy given the plea deal is white.

The boys were accused of the incidents between April and October 2006. Scottsdale police arrested the two in January and they were expelled.

  • Discuss

EVT Ice Bucket Challenge

The East Valley Tribune accepts the Ice Bucket Challenge.

Facebook

EastValleyTribune.com on Facebook

Twitter

EastValleyTribune.com on Twitter

Google+

EastValleyTribune.com on Google+

RSS

Subscribe to EastValleyTribune.com via RSS

RSS Feeds

Spacer4px
Your Az Jobs