Investigator doesn't link racism to mail bomb - East Valley Tribune: News

Investigator doesn't link racism to mail bomb

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Monday, March 22, 2004 9:36 pm | Updated: 4:33 pm, Thu Oct 6, 2011.

The mail bomb that shredded Don Logan's hands as he sat at his desk was not sent to him because he is black or because he oversees cultural diversity in Scottsdale, an investigator in the case said Monday.

“We have not seen anything that it was based on his race . . . or on his position,” said Bob Maes, an inspector with the U.S. Postal Inspection Service, which is leading the investigation of the Feb. 26 package bomb that injured Logan and two other city employees. “Of course, things could always change in a second, but that is our belief at this time,” he said.

Maes declined to say if the multijurisdictional task force assigned to the explosion has any suspects, or why detectives had ruled out a hate crime.

“A case like this is pretty complex. You have to match up motive, means and capability along with all the physical evidence collected at the scene of the crime,” he said.

The package detonated in Logan's hands in the city's Human Resources Complex at 7575 E. Main St. Shrapnel embedded itself in the office's ceiling, walls, floor and in Logan, the 48-year-old director of Scottsdale's Diversity and Dialogue Office.

Tom Mangan, spokesman for the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, said results on the bomb's debris have come back from the Virginia laboratory where it underwent forensic tests.

“We know exactly what it is,” he said.

Neither he nor Maes would release information about the device, such as how it was made or what materials were used.

“If it gets to a point where we see the case is getting cold, we may do that. But at this point, the case is progressing,” Maes said.

He said tips to the Postal Inspection Service's 24-hour hotline have been helpful in the investigation. The service is offering a $100,000 reward for information leading to a conviction.

Logan, who was hospitalized for five days, had not returned to work as of Monday, said city spokesman Pat Dodds. Dodds said one of Logan's fingers may have to be amputated.

“There have been no decisions about the fate of his finger,” Dodds said. “We will know more about that, I think, later on this week.”

Also absent was Logan's assistant, Renita Linyard, who was just outside the office when the package exploded, Phillips said. Jacque Bell, a senior human resources representative who was in a nearby hallway when the bomb went off, has returned to work.

  • Discuss

Facebook on Facebook

Twitter on Twitter

Google+ on Google+


Subscribe to via RSS

RSS Feeds

Your Az Jobs