The landmark San Marcos Hotel and Resort in Chandler reopened Thursday after shutting down for nearly two weeks following the discovery of a potentially fatal bacteria.
The downtown resort, which attracted actors such as Jimmy Stewart and Clark Gable in its heyday, reopened at 9 a.m., officials said.
Management closed the historic hotel Aug. 26 after an environmental testing service found Legionella pneumophila bacteria in the boilers.
An environmental service was brought in after the hotel was served legal papers charging that a former guest contracted Legionnaires’ disease while staying at the resort.
The man, whose name is being withheld, lives out of state and stayed at the resort about six months ago.
In the six months since he visited the Valley, hotel management would not speculate how many people had stayed at the resort.
Since the discovery of the bacteria, officials with the Maricopa County Department of Public Health have been looking through records for reports of Legionnaires’ disease from doctors’ offices or medical facilities over the past six months.
No other cases of the disease have been reported.
Crews disinfected the hotel’s water system during the shutdown by superheating the boilers and pumping chlorine through the pipes for at least two days.
In addition, major components of the watering system were replaced, including boiler, tanks and shower heads, according to a statement released by hotel management.
The disinfection procedures were performed Aug. 28-31, and were
supervised by the county health department and Chandler, the statement said.