Prosecutors near end of segment in Hausner trial - East Valley Tribune: News

Prosecutors near end of segment in Hausner trial

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2008 11:32 am | Updated: 3:45 pm, Wed Jun 19, 2013.

Prosecutors are nearing the end of the first segment of their case against Dale Hausner, the Mesa man accused of killing eight people and wounding numerous others in 2005 and 2006 in the Serial Shooter case.

LIVE: First segment of Shooter trial ending

LIVE: Updates on trial coverage

In the past month and a half, jurors in a downtown Phoenix courtroom have been faced with dozens of mostly hard-luck victims who authorities say were Hausner's targets.

Maricopa County prosecutors call it the "scenes" segment of their case. It gave them the opportunity to lay out the facts of every shooting, stabbing and arson they've attributed to the 35-year-old defendant.

The testimony was often emotional for jurors to hear, but it seemed to rarely damage Hausner.

So far, more than 100 witnesses have testified in the trial, but just three have been able to link Hausner to any of the incidents.

John Kane, a Gilbert man, testified that Hausner confessed to shooting up an empty car outside of a Tempe bartending school on Dec. 29, 2005. That shooting is believed to have kicked off the bloodiest night of the killing spree, according the authorities.

Timothy Davenport testified that Hausner distracted him on May 17, 2006, so that another man could stab him from behind. He identified Hausner "100 percent" as one of the men who participated in the nearly fatal attack.

Marianne Thone said Hausner and his confessed co-conspirator, Samuel Dieteman, also of Mesa, approached her outside the scene of her brother's shooting on May 30, 2006, and told her they were looking for a lost cat.

On Thursday, prosecutors had planned to wrap up the "scenes" portion of the case with testimony in the murder of Robin Blasnek, a Mesa woman believed to be the eighth and final person killed in the spree.

Blasnek, 22, was walking alone to her boyfriend's house on July 30, 2006, when she was killed by a shotgun blast.

However, a juror came down sick at noon, forcing Superior Court Judge Roland Steinle to call off the trial for the day.

That means prosecutors will have to wait until after the weeklong Thanksgiving holiday break to finish the testimony.

After that, prosecutors Vince Imbordino and Laura Reckart will begin to get into the heart of their case against Hausner.

They are expected to start laying out the facts that led investigators to suspect Hausner and Dieteman in the 14-month spree.

In the process, they will bring out some of the most-anticipated evidence of the trial - hours of secret audio recordings that reportedly captured the two men bragging about the shootings and the body count.

Imbordino told the judge earlier this week that they might play the recordings as early as the first week of December.

  • Discuss

Facebook

EastValleyTribune.com on Facebook

Twitter

EastValleyTribune.com on Twitter

Google+

EastValleyTribune.com on Google+

RSS

Subscribe to EastValleyTribune.com via RSS

RSS Feeds

Spacer4px
Your Az Jobs