Serial Shooter victim's sister testifies - East Valley Tribune: News

Serial Shooter victim's sister testifies

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Wednesday, October 8, 2008 8:24 pm | Updated: 3:45 pm, Wed Jun 19, 2013.

Before he became victim No. 2 in the Serial Shooters killing spree, Reginald Remillard lived a life of misperception.

The 56-year-old struggled seemingly in slow motion with schizophrenia for 35 years following his military service in the Vietnam War. The illness caused him to see people in strange ways. And it made it impossible for him to understand his own behavior.

Jury to hear Serial Shooter case Monday

Hausner brother linked to another serial killing

"Certainly if he took his medication, he was better," his sister, Becky Lewis, said Wednesday while tearing up during court testimony. "The illness definitely changed him."

It was that illness that most likely led Remillard to seek shelter the night of May 24, 2005 on a bus stop bench in central Phoenix.

And it was there, on Camelback Road near Seventh Avenue, where authorities believe he was shot in the neck and became the second victim of the Serial Shooters.

"We were very close," Lewis recalled. "He was my big brother. We were raised in a small Iowa town, and family and family values were very important to us."

Lewis' story was part of the first day of witness testimony in the trial against Dale Hausner, the Mesa man who is charged with killing the Vietnam veteran and seven others between May 2005 and August 2006.

Hausner, 35, is also accused of wounding 20 other people and killing or wounding numerous animals during the spree, some of which authorities also say was done alongside his friend, Samuel Dieteman.

Dieteman has already pleaded guilty to two of the murders and agreed to testify against Hausner in the trial, which is taking place in Maricopa County Superior Court.

Maricopa County prosecutors on Wednesday questioned numerous witnesses about the first three murders attributed to the Serial Shooters. Beyond Remillard, the testimony also focused on the killings of Tony Mendez, 39, and David Estrada, 20, both of which took place in the summer of 2005.

Some of the most dramatic testimony of the day came from a Phoenix police sergeant who was the first on the scene after Remillard was shot.

Sgt. Darren Burch said he ran up to the bus stop, where he saw Remillard still alive but gushing "a stream of blood, basically a fountain effect."

Burch said the scene was chaotic as all at once he tried to put pressure on the neck wound, radio for backup and try to get information from a witness who may have seen the shooter.

"Everything seemed like it was lasting forever," Burch said.

As he juggled all those things, he tried to talk to Remillard, who he said looked gray and on the verge of death.

"I really couldn't get a verbal response," Burch said. "However, when I would say, 'stay with me, stay with me,' his eyes started looking at me."

His work to save the man would be in vain. Remillard died at the hospital six days later.

  • Discuss

Facebook on Facebook

Twitter on Twitter

Google+ on Google+


Subscribe to via RSS

RSS Feeds

Your Az Jobs