Standoff at Clinton’s office ends peacefully - East Valley Tribune: Nation / World

Standoff at Clinton’s office ends peacefully

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Saturday, December 1, 2007 4:32 am | Updated: 7:39 pm, Fri Oct 7, 2011.

ROCHESTER, N.H. - A distraught man wearing what appeared to be a bomb walked into a Hillary Rodham Clinton campaign office Friday and demanded to speak to the candidate during a hostage drama that dragged on for nearly six hours before he peacefully surrendered.

Shortly after releasing the last of at least four hostages, Leeland Eisenberg, 47, walked out of the storefront office, put down a homemade bomblike package and was immediately surrounded by a SWAT team.

Clinton was in the Washington area the whole time, but the confrontation brought her campaign to a standstill. The security around her was increased as a precaution.

The man walked into the office shortly before 1 p.m. and took several hostages, police and witnesses said. He let a woman with an infant go immediately, and at least one other woman got out about two hours later.

Seconds before the suspect surrendered, shortly after 6 p.m., the last hostage walked from the office. Police said earlier no one had been injured, and that appeared to still be true at the end.

They believe the device strapped to the man’s chest was made with road flares and was not a bomb, an official said.

  • Discuss
Your Az Jobs