"Twilight" fans already frothing at the fangs for Wednesday's midnight premiere of "Eclipse," the third film in the teenage vampire saga, will get to sink their teeth into the collective mania a little early.
Summit Entertainment, the motion picture studio that produces the movies based on books by Valley author Stephenie Meyer, will host "Twilight Night" beginning 6 p.m. Saturday at Desert Ridge Marketplace in Phoenix. The event will feature an appearance by actor Justin Chon, who portrays Eric Yorkie in all three "Twilight" movies, as well as outdoor screenings of the first two films in the saga, "Twilight" and "New Moon."
Chon will speak to the audience and hold a Q&A session. Fans will also find a red carpet area designed to mimic "Eclipse's" Hollywood premiere. There, they'll be able to take photos with life-size cutouts of characters Edward, Jacob and Bella. A separate photo booth will capture fans in front of a lush, Pacific Northwest forest backdrop - the setting for many scenes in the movies.
In addition, fans will find carnival games, a rock climbing wall, a bungee trampoline, a face painter and "Eclipse" prize giveaways, according to a spokesman for the event.
The screening party is free, but a limited number of bracelets will be distributed first come, first serve at 10 a.m. today at Desert Marketplace's east fountain. A bracelet guarantees a chair for both films. Bracelets are not required; without one, you simply have to stand.
Summit will simultaneously host Twilight Nights in 11 other cities. The website Moviefone.com/TwilightNight will stream actor interviews, special guest appearances and sneak peaks of "Eclipse" live from Twilight Nights in Philadelphia and San Diego.
What: Party like you're at the "Eclipse" premiere with outdoor screenings of "Twilight" and "New Moon" and an appearance by actor Justin Chon (Eric Yorkie).
When: 6 p.m. Saturday
Where: Desert Ridge Marketplace, 21001 N. Tatum Blvd., Phoenix
Cost: Free, but admission is first-come, first-serve until venue reaches capacity
More Twilight events
• Vampire fans ages 12-18 can ring in the release of "Eclipse" with contests, trivia games and snacks. Participants are encouraged to dress like favorite "Twilight" characters or make their own Twilight-inspired T-shirts to wear in a contest for a copy of the movie. 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. Saturday at all Mesa Public Libraries: Main Library, 64 E. Main St.; Dobson Ranch Branch, 2425 S. Dobson Road; and Red Mountain Branch, 635 N. Power Road. Free. (480) 644-4778 or www.mesalibrary.org.
• The Mountain View High School band boosters will host an opening-night showing of "Eclipse" and a raffle to win autographs from cast members and "Twilight" merchandise. The movie plays at 12:01 a.m. Wednesday at AMC Mesa Grand, 1645 S. Stapley Drive; theater doors open at 11 p.m. $15. For tickets, call (480) 615-8932.
• The Higley High School cross country team is selling advance screening tickets for "Eclipse." Buy one, and you get to see the show the day before it's officially released in theaters, without waiting in long lines. Showtime is 8:15 p.m. Tuesday at Harkins SanTan Village 16, 2298 E. Williams Field Road, Gilbert. $15 (includes $9.50 for ticket and $5.50 donation to the team). Get tickets 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday at the HHS front office, at 7 p.m. Monday at the HHS track, or by calling (480) 279-7317.
• East Valley Firefighter Charities are selling advance screening tickets for "Eclipse." The early showing is at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday at Harkins SanTan Village 16. $20 (includes a donation to the charity). For tickets, call (480) 797-5969 or (480) 510-6554.
• The Williams Field High School football booster club will hold "Black Hawks Night at the Movies" - a pre-screening of "Eclipse." Showtime is at 5 p.m. Tuesday at Harkins Chandler Crossroads 12, 2980 E. Germann Road. $9.50. For information and tickets, e-mail Boosters@wfblackhawksfootball.com.
• "Twilight: Eclipse" Girls Night Out: The Melting Pot restaurant, 3626 E. Ray Road, Phoenix, will offer a three-course fondue dinner with an "Eclipse" movie ticket on Tuesday and Wednesday as a Twilight Girls Night Out package. Special "Eclipse"-themed cocktails will be available for an additional cost. (480) 704-9206 or www.meltingpot.com.
• Harkins Theatres will host The Twilight Triple Feature beginning at 7 p.m. Tuesday. The movie marathon includes "Twilight," "New Moon," and - at midnight - the premiere of "Eclipse." $20 for regular theaters; $22 for screenings in the Cine Capri. (480) 627-7777 or www.harkinstheatres.com.
• AMC Theatres will host "The Twilight Experience," a screening of all three movies, beginning at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday. $30, includes a $10 AMC gift card and commemorative lanyard. Go to www.amcentertainment.com, and click on "Movies & Events."