Several shops opened in the last few weeks that wouldn’t squeeze into past columns.
• New to Gilbert: Heaven’s Glory, a Christian-themed boutique that sells hip clothing, jewelry, gift items, handmade pottery and coffee drinks. The shop is at 323 S. Gilbert Road, just north of the Farm House Village shops.
• Design Within Reach opened for business at 4821 N. Scottsdale Road in Scottsdale, the first Arizona location for the San Francisco -based chain. The company claims to sell "well-designed furnishings traditionally found only in designer showrooms."
• Big Cups — you’ll have to ask local owner Kurt Kittleson about the odd name for a hamburger joint — started cooking at the Safeway-anchored shopping plaza at 64th Street and Greenway Parkway. The restaurant’s address says Scottsdale, but the shop is really on the Phoenix side of Scottsdale Road. If you are in a hurry, you can fax your order ahead to (480) 596-5637.
• Qwest opened a couple of Solutions Center stores in the East Valley — at Fiesta Mall in Mesa and Paradise Valley Mall in Phoenix. The shops sell all Qwest services from wireless and home phone packages to Internet and digital TV.
• Ken and Barbara Hand, who own and operate several East Valley Great Clips salons, just opened their 14th shop in the new Bashas’-anchored Augusta Ranch Marketplace at Crismon and Baseline roads in Mesa.
EVEN MORE IN STORE
Five tenants moved in to the East Thunderbird Square shopping center, on the northwest corner of Scottsdale and Thunderbird roads on the Scottsdale-Phoenix border:
• Ariel’s Shoe Repair, a family-owned business, sells dyeable shoes and handbags in 300 colors in addition to repairing shoes.
• Complete Garage sells cabinets, flooring, storage, auto care and accessories. It’s on the south side of the shopping center near Van’s Pro Shop.
• Leslie’s Swimming Pool Supplies opened its 39th Valley store.
• The Tutoring Club of Scottsdale offers help for students in kindergarten through 12th grade, including SAT/ACT preparation.
• Typhoon Jet Boat Adventures Scottsdale Tour Center sells daily adventure tours and private group tours on Bartlett Lake.
SUB SHOP SET TO OPEN
A new Subway sandwich shop is scheduled to open Wednesday in Bashas’ Plaza on the southwest corner of Power and Chandler Heights roads in Queen Creek.
Owner Stacy Koury opened the town’s first Subway in October in the Bella Vista Center at Johnson Ranch.
Koury said business there has been brisk, but she’s not worried the new store will steal customers.
"They are three miles apart and there’s just nothing else out there," she said.
If you have a new shop to tell us about or you see activity at a retail location and are wondering what’s happening, let us know.