It’s shaping up to be a sad but potentially lucrative holiday season for Casual Corner and Petite Sophisticate shoppers.
Stores in Scottsdale Fashion Square, Paradise Valley Mall and Chandler Fashion Center are already staging going-out-of-business sales. The Chandler mall also has a Casual Corner Annex to empty out.
All merchandise is discounted at least 30 percent, and the sales will continue till the 55-year-old chain folds January month-end.
The stores already had winter merchandise on order before deciding to liquidate, so they will continue to get — and mark down — new merchandise throughout the holidays. Casual Corner Group grew to 550 locations before parent Retail Brand Alliance decided to dump it.
• Office supply superstore Staples plans to celebrate its new store at 1157 W. Chandler Blvd. with special sales, prizes and refreshments at a "Neighborhood Night" party starting at 6 p.m. today.
• The Wal-Mart Supercenter at 2750 E. Germann Road in Chandler started ringing up sales Wednesday. The store plans to celebrate its grand opening Saturday with giveaways, product sampling, character appearances and a magician.
The new Wal-Mart employs about 500 people culled from more than 2,000 applicants.
• Also celebrating its grand opening this weekend: Aunt San’s Attic, specializing in new and "experienced" ladies clothing and accessories. The store recently moved into Spanish Village, an eclectic shopping plaza on the southeast corner of Tom Darlington and Cave Creek roads in Carefree.
• Peter Piper Pizza is now cooking at 2965 S. Alma School Road in Chandler. It is the Valley’s 32nd Peter Piper.
• Elaine Todd, a familyowned "distinctive" gift store, debuted at the Village at Las Sendas, on the northeast corner of Power and McDowell roads in Mesa. Look for a hodge-podge of fun and funky stuff from beaded handbags to hand-made jewelry, art furniture, bedding, greeting cards and home accessories — even pedal cars.
READY TO GO
Scheduled to open Monday at Biltmore Fashion Park, 24th Street and Camelback Road in east Phoenix: Maria Martin a beauty and fashion boutique selling cutting-edge cosmetics, skin care products, shoes, clothes and accessories.
Also aiming for a Monday grand opening: A new Village Inn at 2935 S. Alma School Road in Chandler, the 24th version in Arizona. It will feature the restaurant chain’s updated decor.