Nan Nesvig’s fight to remain on the ballot for Scottsdale City Council now hinges on whether she can convince a judge that county election officials improperly threw out 89 voter signatures.
During a hearing today at Maricopa County Superior Court, Nesvig will bring the people who circulated her nominating petitions, hoping their testimony will clear up questions about disputed signatures, she said.
Commissioner Colleen French is to rule on whether Nesvig can remain a candidate.
Last week, the Maricopa County Recorder’s Office found that only 1,563 of Nesvig’s 1,899 signatures are valid. To earn a spot on the ballot, candidates must have turned in 1,652 valid signatures by Dec. 14.
The discounted signatures came largely from people not registered to vote or living outside of Scottsdale, records show. A complaint filed Dec. 23 to block Nesvig from running prompted the inspection. Karl Kulick, a south Scottsdale resident, is listed as plaintiff.
But last week, three incumbents — Councilmen Bob Littlefield, Wayne Ecton and Kevin Osterman — said their campaigns are funding the complaint.
On Monday afternoon, Don Peters, Nesvig’s attorney, said the details on which signature gatherers would be called during the hearing was still being sorted out. In addition, Nesvig’s campaign has asked the recorder’s office to reinspect some signatures.
A county official said up to eight signatures may be reinstated — they came from newly registered voters whose citizenship still must be confirmed. But even if all eight are counted, that still leaves 81 invalidated.
Tom Irvine, a Phoenix attorney representing the complaint, did not return calls Monday.
The incumbents have said supporters hired Irvine and launched the complaint without their knowledge.