Laptop fire shuts down ASU engineering building Tuesday - East Valley Tribune: Tempe

Laptop fire shuts down ASU engineering building Tuesday

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Tuesday, April 3, 2012 3:59 pm

Arizona State University’s Engineering and Research building was evacuated and closed after a laptop computer caught on fire inside a classroom Tuesday morning.

The fire broke out inside the building at 551 E. Tyler Mall about 11:30 a.m. causing numerous people from the seven-story building to be evacuated, according to Mike Reichling, a Tempe fire investigator.

A student was charging the computer, but had it inside a computer bag on top of a chair, which all caught fire when the computer overheated, Reichling said.

“The safety message here is that people need to know that when these laptop computers are being charged, they need to be ventilated with some clear space around them,” Reichling said. This computer was stuck down inside a bag.

“The sprinkler system kicked in and did its job,” Reichling added. “The fire was out by the time we got there was very little damage done to the classroom.

No injuries were reported and the building is scheduled to be re-opened Wednesday morning, Reichling said.

More about

More about

  • Discuss
Your Az Jobs