A man who survived a massive natural gas explosion at this home in Gilbert, is back in the ICU, after he was almost discharged from the hospital.
Back in February, Jason Nelson lit a cigarette in his garage that sparked an explosion. Investigators say a cracked pipe caused a natural gas leak.
Around 80 percent of Nelson’s body was burned. He was put into induced coma and the ICU for weeks. So far he has gone through 21 surgeries.
However, Nelson made a faster recovery than doctors expected.
He was set to go home this week until something went wrong during a procedure.
Doctors had to put back into coma and back into the ICU.
His girlfriend of three years, Tammy Yohe says it’s devastating seeing him in the same exact condition he was four months ago.
Nelson has a 13-year-old son.
”I expected future surgeries but never back in ICU in the condition that he was in,” said Yohe. “I mean, just days ago he was jogging around the facility and kicking a soccer ball down the hall with his son.”
So far, Yohe says medical bills have topped off more than a million dollars.
This weekend, there's a benefit car show in Gilbert, featuring Mustangs. The event is at Gilbert Town Center, located at 90 E. Civic Center Drive, and the cost is $25 per car. Checks are payable to: Jason Nelson Benefit Car Show.