Child abuse charge dismissed against Tempe mom of missing 'Baby Gabriel' - East Valley Tribune: Public Safety

Child abuse charge dismissed against Tempe mom of missing 'Baby Gabriel'

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Friday, July 27, 2012 2:27 pm | Updated: 8:31 am, Tue Jul 31, 2012.

PHOENIX (AP) — A child abuse charge has been dismissed against the jailed mother of an Arizona boy missing since December 2009.

Maricopa County Superior Court officials said Friday that a judge granted the prosecution's motion to dismiss that charge against Elizabeth Johnson.

The 26-year-old Tempe woman is scheduled to be tried in September on charges of kidnapping and conspiracy to commit custodial interference.

Johnson has been jailed without bond since January 2010. She previously was deemed mentally unfit to stand trial, but has since been restored to competency.

Johnson first said she smothered her 8-month-old son Gabriel and put him in the trash. She later recanted and said she gave the baby to a couple in San Antonio, Texas.

Gabriel has never been found, and police don't know whether he is alive.

© 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

More about

More about

More about

  • Discuss

EVT Ice Bucket Challenge

The East Valley Tribune accepts the Ice Bucket Challenge.

Your Az Jobs