A fire gutted a small trailer in Mesa Tuesday, displacing a family of six. No one was injured in the 10 a.m. blaze at the Redwood Mobile Home Park, 2207 W. Main St., but the family also lost $2,000 in cash.
Doug Martineau, Mesa fire spokesman, said the source of the fire was a coffee pot, but investigators haven't figured out yet whether it was defective or something was too near or on the burner.
The home, which was about 300 square feet, was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived.
The focus of the firefighters then became saving the neighboring units that were no more than 20 feet away.
"We consider that a save because no other trailers caught fire," Martineau said.
Neighbor Jaime Lara Jr., 21, who was awakened by someone screaming "fire," ran outside just as the windows of the burning unit exploded.
Lara said the explosion came as the home's owner, Santos Sebastian, 23, opened the door to go in and retrieve a stash of money.
Lara used his garden hose to spray his yard, the trailer and himself, but the heat forced him to retreat and was eventually ordered away.
"That heat was hot," he said. His plastic trash barrel began to warp and so did a small section of his unit.
Soot covered Sebastian's white T-shirt that sported an image of Al Pacino as Scarface. He declined to comment.
Lara said the 50 families in the park are going to collect clothing and money for the family, which had no homeowners insurance.