The Tempe Union High School District has narrowed its superintendent search to five candidates.
They include a district employee, an educational consultant and three superintendents from across the country.
The district’s governing board will conduct interviews of the candidates today and Saturday.
Then it will name two or three finalists, who will participate in hourlong community forums, said district spokeswoman Linda Littell.
Outgoing Superintendent Shirley Miles resigned her position in December, but will finish out her contract until it expires June 30.
The semifinalists are:
• Steven Adolph, current associate superintendent of the district. Adolph has worked for the district since 1981, serving as a teacher, and later an administrator at both Corona del Sol and Marcos de Niza high schools. Adolph started his educational career in 1979 in Snowflake when he taught social studies, coached sports and ran the Indian Education Program.
• Linda Bigos, superintendent of the East Pennsboro Area School District in Enola, Pa., a position she has held since 1999. In Enola, Bigos organized a Corporate Sponsorship Committee that has generated more than $500,000 in donations and services to the district. She started her career in 1973 as an English teacher.
• C. Thomas Budde, superintendent of the Central Union High School District in El Centro, Calif. Budde holds degrees in mathematics, physics and educational administration from the University of Denver, and was principal of Camelback High school in Phoenix in the 1990s.
• Doug Wilson, managing partner of BWP & Associates, a national consulting firm that works with school boards to find superintendents. Wilson lives in Litchfield Park. Previously, he ran the Agua Fria Union High School District in Avondale, where he increased the budget carry forward from $7,000 to $800,0000 in four years.
• William Zwick, superintendent of Marion City Schools in Marion, Ohio. Zwick has worked as an administrator for 29 years in Ohio — 19 as a superintendent. He has spent much of his career working with and studying industrial and technology education.