Several Valley freeways will close this weekend while crews work to finish many construction projects, including work to lay rubberized asphalt that will make freeway traffic significantly quieter, state transportation officials said.
Sections of Loop 101, the Red Mountain Freeway stretch of Loop 202 and state Route 143 will close as transportation crews hurry to finish the work while the temperatures are moderate.
Drivers are encouraged to take alternate routes this weekend:
• Northbound Loop 101 in Tempe will close between U.S. 60 and Loop 202 from 9 p.m. today to 5 a.m. Monday. Drivers should use Dobson Road or McClintock Drive as alternate northbound routes.
• Westbound Loop 202 in Phoenix will close between 24th Street and Interstate 10 and state Route 51 from 9 p.m. today to 5 a.m. Monday for bridge repairs. The ramps from westbound Loop 202 to Interstate 10 and state Route 51 also will close. Drivers going to Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport should exit at 44th Street and head south onto state Route 153.
• Southbound Loop 101 will close at Elliot Road from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday for pavement repairs. Traffic will detour on the exit and entrance ramps at Elliot Road.
• U.S. 60 will narrow to one lane in each direction at Stapley Drive from 11 p.m. Saturday to 5 a.m. Sunday for continued bridge improvements. Stapley Drive will also close in both directions in the area of the freeway.
• State Route 143 will close in both directions between McDowell Road and Washington Street in Phoenix from 9 p.m. today to 5 a.m. Tuesday. Northbound traffic will detour onto Washington Street.
For updated freeway closures and restrictions, visit www.az511.com or call 511.