Mesa shooting suspect claims he did it to protect family in drug deal - East Valley Tribune: East Valley Local News

Mesa shooting suspect claims he did it to protect family in drug deal

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Related Stories

Posted: Friday, July 1, 2011 4:15 pm | Updated: 12:47 pm, Tue Jul 5, 2011.

When Jesus Antonio Busso-Estopellan told Mesa police he shot Olek Wladyszewski and Tyler Webster as the two teenagers sat inside Wladyszewski’s car early Wednesday, he said it was for one reason: He was scared and he had to protect his family.

Busso-Estopellan, 21, whose visa to stay in the United States had expired, was arrested about 10:15 p.m. Wednesday at his east Mesa residence on suspicion of two counts of first-degree murder. Busso-Estopellan told police he shot Wladyszewski, 19, and Webster, 18, over a deal he had brokered for Wladyszewski to sell marijuana to a Jamaican man at least two months ago, according to a Mesa police report.

It isn’t known whether Busso-Estopellan’s story is true, but police were led to him through one of the victim’s cell phones. Police discovered Wladyszewski’s phone in his vehicle where he was found dead in the driver’s seat shortly after 1:15 a.m. Wednesday from a single gunshot wound to the head. Wladyszewski and Busso-Estopellan had exchanged text messages minutes leading up to the shooting and they were planning to meet close to where the shootings happened.

Webster, an Arizona State University student majoring in biochemistry who later died at a hospital, was able to call 911 after being shot twice in the head and told the dispatcher that a Hispanic man in his 20s shot them. When police arrived, Wladyszewski was dead and Webster was unconscious.

Police also said they found 79 pills inside a plastic bag underneath the passenger-side front floor mat of Wladyszewski’s car.

According to a Mesa police report, Busso-Estopellan had lured Wladyszewski to east Mesa’s Parkwood Ranch neighborhood near Southern Avenue and Signal Butte Road where he said he shot Wladyszewski once in the head and Webster twice before throwing the gun and his clothes in the trash, where police recovered them.

The suspected shooter told police he had been planning the crime for about a month and bought the gun about a month ago.

The two deaths mark Mesa’s fourth and fifth homicides of the year, according to Detective Mike Melendez, a Mesa police spokesman.

Busso-Estopellan, who has a history of drug-related offenses, said the Jamaican had not paid for the marijuana. After he confronted him, the Jamaican threatened his family and said “you have to take care of them,” according to the report.

Wladyszewski then pressed Busso-Estopellan for pills, according to the police report. It said the evening before his death, Busso-Estopellan had contacted Wladyszewski under the ruse he was going to provide him with a quantity of blue-colored tablets. But when both Wladyszewski and Webster both showed up, Busso-Estopellan said he was surprised to see two people and didn’t hand over the pills, the report said.

Busso-Estopellan later contacted Wladyszewski again and told him to meet him in the 10000 block of East Farmdale Avenue across the street from a park because he was familiar with the area, according to the report.

Busso-Estopellan said he didn’t expect Wladyszewski to be with anyone, and when he saw Webster sitting in the passenger seat he stretched his arm into the car and shot Webster after he shot Wladyszewski because he was afraid he could identify him.

Busso-Estopellan is being held in a Maricopa County jail without bond.

On May 11, Wladyszewski was charged with a marijuana and narcotics drug violation and was scheduled to appear in Maricopa County Superior Court on July 8, according to court records.

Arizona State University police executed a search warrant at Webster’s apartment at 701 E. Apache Blvd., Tempe, after arresting him in April on suspicion of possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia and tampering with evidence, according to ASU police Cmdr. Mike Thompson. Thompson said residence assistants were conducting checks and smelled marijuana in Webster’s apartment and called university police. When police arrived, they saw Webster and some of his friends smoking marijuana and said Webster tried to flush some of it down the toilet, Thompson said. The dean of students was notified, but Thompson said the outcome of the investigation was not known.

More about

More about

More about

  • Discuss

Facebook on Facebook

Twitter on Twitter

Google+ on Google+


Subscribe to via RSS

RSS Feeds

Your Az Jobs