PHOENIX - The trial of a man accused in a rash of serial attacks has been postponed, and no new trial date has been set, prosecutors said Wednesday.
Mark Goudeau, indicted last week on 74 felony charges including nine counts of first-degree murder and 15 counts of sexual assault, was set for trial Monday in two other sexual assaults that he was charged with earlier.
Goudeau, 42, is suspected of being metropolitan Phoenix’s “Baseline Killer,” one of two serial killer cases that spread fear across the area in recent months.
When he was arrested four months ago in two 2005 sexual assaults, police stopped short of pronouncing Goudeau the Baseline Killer while they built a case against him. They have recently said he was indeed the serial killer responsible for numerous other attacks including the 2005 sexual assaults.
According to police reports in the 2005 sexual assaults, two sisters, ages 21 and 23, were sexually assaulted while walking in a park at night. Goudeau’s lawyer has said it doesn’t appear that Goudeau can be definitively linked to both sexual assaults and that he will plead not guilty to the new charges.