West Valley illness outbreak connected to E. coli O157 found at Litchfield Park restaurant - East Valley Tribune: East Valley Local News

West Valley illness outbreak connected to E. coli O157 found at Litchfield Park restaurant

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Friday, August 2, 2013 2:25 pm

The Maricopa County Departments of Public Health and Environmental Services, in collaboration with the Arizona Department of Health Services, is investigating an outbreak that appears to be linked to the Federico’s Mexican Restaurant located at 13132 W. Camelback Road in Litchfield Park.

So far, at least 11 of 15 individuals with bloody diarrhea that Maricopa County Departments of Public Health and Environmental Services has been able to interview have either purchased food from or eaten at Federico’s in Litchfield Park.

Maricopa County Departments of Public Health and Environmental Services has also received preliminary laboratory results indicating that the bacteria causing the illness is E. coli O157.

“Just to be clear, it is only this one Federico’s establishment where many of the cases have reported eating or purchasing food,” said Dr. Bob England, director of Maricopa County Departments of Public Health and Environmental Services. “The investigation remains ongoing and we have all hands on deck to figure out the specific source.”

The Maricopa County Environmental Services Department responded by inspecting the facility immediately and taking food samples.

“The restaurant has been extremely cooperative with our investigation. In fact, out of an abundance of caution and concern for their customers, the restaurant is voluntarily closing,” said Steven Goode, deputy director for Maricopa County Environmental Services Department.

Anyone who has eaten at this particular Federico’s Mexican Food from on or after July 23 and is experiencing bloody diarrhea should see a healthcare provider so a stool culture can be ordered. Options for people without a health care provider include urgent care centers or community health centers.

The illness appears to be caused by a class of bacteria that produces a toxin. This toxin can cause severe illness and, especially in children, can lead to kidney failure and even death.

It is important for health care providers to be aware of this outbreak because treating children with antibiotics for this bacteria can increase the risk of serious consequences. Providers who have patients who they suspect may be related to this outbreak should order a stool culture and contact Maricopa County Departments of Public Health and Environmental Services’s disease reporting line at (602) 747-7500.

“Unfortunately, there is still much to uncover about this outbreak such as what specific food may have been contaminated, how the food was contaminated and how many people have eaten been exposed. As we discover this information, we will continue to share with the public,” England added.

More about

More about

  • Discuss

Video: Winter in July at the Phoenix Zoo

The Phoenix Zoo held its annual Winter in July event on Saturday for the animals and an estima...

Facebook

EastValleyTribune.com on Facebook

Twitter

EastValleyTribune.com on Twitter

Google+

EastValleyTribune.com on Google+

RSS

Subscribe to EastValleyTribune.com via RSS

RSS Feeds

Spacer4px
Your Az Jobs