Authorities in Pinal County say a class filled with students was exposed to pepper spray after a 15-year-old accidentally triggered a small bottle she had brought to school.
Eighteen students at Combs Middle School south of Queen Creek complained of symptoms. Pinal County sheriff's spokesman Elias Johnson says a 13-year-old was taken to a hospital at her parent's request.
Johnson says the girl got pepper spray from her adult sister and brought it to the school in her bag. A friend was looking for lip gloss in the bag when the 15-year-old grabbed the bottle and it went off Friday afternoon.
No criminal charges will be filed because the discharge was an accident.
School officials say they'll hand out appropriate discipline to those involved.