September is a great month for football fans, but it’s also a wonderful time to take in some top-notch ballet performances for free.
For the past 15 years, Ballet Arizona — the state’s premier professional ballet troupe — takes its talent off-stage and into the parks and amphitheaters of the greater Phoenix Area.
Though relatively short at just over an hour, these performances are far from impromptu. An outdoor stage, lighting and costumes combine with the fine-tuned artistry of the dancers, who perform works from Ib Andersen’s “Sueños” to a preview of George Balanchine’s “Serenade.”
Class Act, an educational program melding the professionalism of Ballet Arizona with the creativity of school kids, is also on display.
Ballet under the stars: Performances begin at 7 p.m. More information is available by calling (602) 381-0184 or visiting balletaz.org.
- Sept. 20: Fountain Park, Fountain Hills.
- Sept. 21: Tempe Center for the Arts, Tempe.
- Sept. 22: Estrella Lakeside Amphitheater, Goodyear.
- Sept. 23: Sahuaro Ranch Historic Park, Glendale.
- Sept. 27: Beardsley Park, Sun City West.
- Sept. 28: Paul Mason Sports Complex, Casa Grande.
- Sept. 29: Steele Indian School Park, Phoenix.