Here’s one Christmastime experience we haven’t tried before: The W Scottsdale Hotel has opened an ice skating rink on its roof, and the public is invited to take a spin. Here’s what you need to know before packing up the kids for an afternoon of fun or planning a swanky, wintry date night:
• Called CHILL at W Scottsdale, the festive attraction includes a 1,500-square-foot ice skating rink placed next to the heated, colorfully lit rooftop pool.
• The space is decked out with twinkling lights and decorated rink-side private cabanas. A blend of toasty and frosty specialty cocktails, plus live music performances and disc jockeys provide atmosphere.
• The fully-customized CHILL ice skating rink is composed of synthetic ice crafted from a fully recyclable polymer compound that requires no electricity, so it feels slower under the foot than refrigerated ice — kind of like skating on a real pond.
• The ice rink is open to the public and W Scottsdale guests for $10 admission. The fee includes skate rental and an hour of skating.
• A room package that includes unlimited skate rental, a rink-side cabana and free drinks is available starting at $199 per night. Ask for the Chill Out package.
IF YOU GO
What: CHILL, a rooftop ice skating rink
Where: W Scottsdale Hotel, 7277 E. Camelback Road
When: Ice is open 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 26, 4 p.m. to midnight Friday, Dec. 27, noon to midnight Saturday, Dec. 28, and noon to 10 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 29. (Skaters younger than 21 are asked to leave the ice after 6 p.m. Thursday through Saturday.)
Cost: $10, includes skate rental and one hour on the ice
Information: (480) 970-2100 or WScottsdaleHotel.com/chill.