What a great responsibility we have as parents to find a school where our children can enjoy being every day in addition to being safe and receiving the best possible education! The first thing to remember when we are touring/looking for a school is that we follow our instincts as parents having confidence that we can and will make the best decision for our children monitoring and adjusting as necessary each year and day as our lives and needs change. It is very important to brainstorm as a family what is important to you in a school before venturing out which will help you make the best decision the first time instead of school hopping which although is adventurous and brave and many times the right thing to do to find the right school for your child it is a consistent disruption to learning and most importantly relationship building and modeling the endurance needed to win life’s race. Knowing each child has a unique personality and brain structure it is critical to know and communicate your child’s needs openly and honestly so you can give your school of choice the opportunity to reciprocally respond with honesty in regards to being able to meet the needs of your family and each of your children with their varying needs and differences. Consider collaborating with your child and making a list of 5 of the things that are most important to you both in a school. This can serve as a tool for a team feel when or if the going gets tough or in a positive note you are basking in successes.
Five things to look for when touring/looking for a new school
1. Cleanliness and order of the school grounds and within the facility knowing that external order fosters internal order and clarity of thought which fosters academic excellence, critical thinking, and innovation.
2. Friendliness from staff and students
3. Fruits of a thriving learning environment-student work up on walls, engaged students in learning activities, many books and learning materials in each classroom
4. Preparedness and responsiveness of staff ie: enrollment packets prepared, questions or additional information requested is timely.
5. Consistency of mission/values that the school stands for around campus and in each classroom.
San Tan Learning Center
1475 South Higley Road
Gilbert, AZ 85296