Freeway-improvement projects in the Valley will require closures this weekend, according to the Arizona Department of Transportation. Drivers are encouraged to plan ahead and consider alternate routes while the following freeway restrictions are in place this weekend:
- State Route 143 (Hohokam Expressway) closed in both directions between Interstate 10 and University Drive near Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport from 11 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday for pipeline work. Northbound 48th Street closed at Broadway Road. DETOUR: Westbound I-10 drivers can access airport’s west entrance via Buckeye Road. Alternate north/south routes in area include 40th and 52nd streets.
- Eastbound Interstate 10 closed overnight between the Interstate 17 'Stack' interchange and Seventh Street from 9 p.m. Friday to 9 a.m. Saturday for tunnel maintenance. DETOUR: Drivers can detour along southbound I-17 and reconnect with eastbound I-10 near Sky Harbor Airport.
- Westbound Interstate 10 closed overnight between Seventh Street and Seventh Avenue from 9 p.m. Saturday to 9 a.m. Sunday for tunnel maintenance. Ramps from southbound State Route 51 and westbound Loop 202 to westbound I-10 closed. Westbound Loop 202 on-ramp at 24th Street closed. DETOUR: Westbound I-10 traffic exiting at Seventh Street will detour along McDowell Road. Drivers on westbound I-10 also can detour north on I-17 starting near Sky Harbor Airport and reconnect with I-10 at the 'Stack' interchange.
- Northbound Interstate 17 closed overnight at Union Hills Drive from 11 p.m. Friday to 9 a.m. Saturday (June 8) for overhead sign work. Northbound I-17 on-ramp at Bell Road also closed. Northbound I-17 access to Yorkshire Drive/Utopia Road closed. DETOUR: Northbound I-17 traffic will use off- and on-ramps at Union Hills Drive. Consider using Deer Valley Road to enter northbound I-17.
- Eastbound Interstate 10 narrowed to one lane overnight between Citrus Road and Cotton Lane from 10 p.m. Saturday to 9 a.m. Sunday for work on the future Interstate 10/Loop 303 traffic interchange. DETOUR: Please allow extra travel time and use caution when merging in the work zone.